Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls

Calling the Others

Writing Theme Music

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Boat Ramp Shenanigans with Space Chimp.


Remember this: Poke a measuring stick in it. That hole might be deep.

Yesterday, my son and I went to a boat landing way in the woods on a WMA area. We weighed ourselves before setting out. Humans do not learn anything valuable unless through intrepidity and caprice.

My God, I could have been on the internet looking at naked men, fighting faceless strangers, and looking at mindless crap. But no...I was out in the world.

The state has been under drought watch. The water was low and the road was driveable two days ago. Going in we saw one turkey, then a second. I told my son, “Wait for the third. That will be a show.” The third time we saw turkey there was a herd of about thirteen standing on the sandy road sides, wings a flapping, then strolled nonchalantly in the woods. This was the point I realized the road scraper had loosened the dirt up too much. The boat and truck was at risk to getting stuck. I put her in a different gear and drove on through. We got down to the boat landing after the scenic drive.

The reason I am writing this is for newbie people or anyone that hasn't gotten the details of going off as unseasoned people. This can include people that lack a mentor or just another person. Think before you act. At the very least try to avoid a metaphoric tar pit of nature.

We got the boat down to the landing. There was one truck and it was parked in such a way as to block anyone pulling out. I walked down to the river's edge. The water was low. There was nothing in the water to indicate the end of the boat ramp or the depth of the bottom a ways out. The boat ramp is actually a big canal shoot with disappearing gravel road. Just looking at the water, you can't tell if you back the trailer and boat out, if the trailer is going to fall into a hole you can't see.

I backed the truck up. After the boat came off my rear driver's side wheel found that one place and slide off of what looked to be a traction panel. I had one job and failed. No need spinning wheels in the mud and getting nowhere. You have to learn when to stop. If you don't stop, you make it worse.

It appears someone stuck a piece of pig panel down in the water. I was stuck. I keep finding myself stuck. Yet, if it weren't for me being stuck I wouldn't get great ideas for this blog posts. Other people with their squinty eyes tell me, “You are stuck.” I think it should be an Olympic sport. I would be devastatingly good at it; an unpaid life's career.

Before I left my father told me if I got bogged down to call him. He knew where I was going. Being my dad's child, I trust him. I fell prey to one of my dad's booby traps meant for would-be thieves.

I swamped the boat as well.

Never let it be said that there is nothing man can build that women can't tear apart. Yet on the positive side, we build just as much. It's the weird balance scale of the universe. You never know when it will strike with its shits and giggles. My father and the Universe were having a laugh-fest on me.

My son and I pulled the boat up on the bank. We figured out what he had done. While waiting I noticed a white and black bird flying over the area. It was a swallow-tailed kite. I could hear babies squawking somewhere close by but couldn't visualize the nest. If you see these birds please report a siting. It is an endangered species and of the highest conservation concern. The swallow-tailed kite winters in Brazil. You can call or go to The Avian Conservation Center and The Center for Birds of Prey (1-843-971-7474) websites to report sightings.

On to the debacle.

My father shows up unable to talk. He is humored by my state of affairs. My son was not amused. I thought I was going to die.

We pulled the truck and trailer out. It wasn't that bad. It was just off the track in a soft spot. It could happen to anyone at this ramp.

We pulled the boat up. Fixed it and used the bilge pump to get the excess water out. This was the second time I took this boat out. My dad had just purchased it and kept nudging me to take it out. I thought this odd behavior. I should have known. Send the test chimp to see if she can make it to outer space or watch her spaceship blow up and fall from the sky.

The first time I took this boat out I turned around because the gas line would not stay in the motor. I didn't think it prudent to spew gas into the river, strand myself or anyone with me. I am here not to put the fear of going outdoors in a person. I would rather have them enjoy life. Sometimes invisible and human gremlins decide they do what they want at your expense. Their evil plans know no bounds.

I looked at my dad and said, “Daddy, I don't think this is meant to be.” He didn't look at me and said, “Yes it is.” He might have realized to some degree this was a discouraging situation. He was never one for worry over my feelings. I traded the hitches off the two vehicles. He drove in a truck with 4WD and left it with me. My dad goes back and test drives this boat down the river, leaving it running. I was dubious. My son and I got in the boat then drove off. My dad left. I drove off with the boat. I liked it actually. It maneuvered easily. I could sit up in a seat. I can tell you when you drive your first car you are worried about wrecking into someone. When you drive your first boat on open water with no problems, it just feels awesome.

I looked down at the water. It had debris in it and looked nasty.

We went a ways but then I felt the boat motor kick. My son wanted to know if we hit something. I told him it was either air or water in the line. After the second or third bump, I just got this feeling to turn around because we were heading for this lake. I thought to myself, “There is no way I am stranding my baby and me on this river this day.” I made a U-turn right in the middle of the river and went straight back to the dock. There is no need in letting stupidity overrun common-sense. I got back to the boat ramp. The motor dies. Not to be deterred, I plopped the trolling motor in the water and thought Land Ho. Always have paddles or a back-up.

The problem with driving someone else's used purchase is there is a reason someone sold it. I figured out all the quirks in that boat but I am sure there will be more to come. It is better to do a test run with equipment without unknowing individuals aboard, instead of getting people out on a river then scaring them half to death. I can imagine if this were someone who had never been acclimated to river life. Probably would have shit their pants. If you are not somewhat concerned for yours or others safety and plight....you have a serious problem.

The boat would not crank. I didn't call my dad back either. I backed the Cherokee with the trailer down the slew to the river to float the boat up to hook it then cranked the boat up enough to pull it out the water without busting the motor. The boat motor wouldn't tilt. I wanted to (RAWR!) and gnaw on something, I tell you. I laugh now.

I drove up to a hill and used gravity to slide the boat up to the top where the crank handle was. Once we anchored it down, my son drove us out. He looks at me and says, “Mom, we go camping in a couple of weeks. It will be better. This was one hiccup.”

We got back to the house and weighed ourselves. Everything I do with my son is to teach him something. I told him if you wanted to lose some pounds go down to that particular river and just sit or walk around. He lost 4 pounds in less than 2 hours. I lost 6 pounds. We were constantly drinking water.

I have a reason for writing this. Prior to this, I had talked to several old timers or seasoned boat landing people. There was a pivotal theme traveling through these conversation. That theme was the avoidance of utilizing boat ramps in the area I am from and local areas. I traveled around to look at the landings. Some are great, some hellish.

I learned from working with the public that consumers will avoid bad service and places that provide dreadful experiences.

This is the growing case with some boat landings, their ramps, and engineering. The complaint on ramps were: the steepness of the ramp itself, low-maintenance or upkeep to the ramps, especially out of the way boat ramps. There was a complaint of visualization of where the ramp ended or erosion maintenance at the water's edge to keep boaters from bogging or sliding in. Also the lack of traction in a wide enough area at the mouth of the boat ramp. Some landings have a floating dock where others have nothing but a dirt hill. This doesn't provide a place to tie the boat. I got this from people on the river all the time. These outdoors people are being blocked by the thought of the boat landings being unsafe in some way as to warrant avoidance. There is the issue of once questioned by officials, the landing users will declare no problem. No one wants to be seen as ungrateful or a complainer. Wait until some gets hurt then everyone is bad mouthing the area.                                                                      

You begin to understand why some people die right at the ramp. They are in the water or struggling with the boat somehow. If you lost fluids at the rate my son and I did, compounded with some physical problem you are not aware of, I could see how someone could die. One landing near me is notorious for people dying. It is a steep drop off into the water you can't see. Back a boat up, walk in the water around the motor after you pull it out some and in the drink you go, sucked down. You don't know where the edge is. The person assumes it is naturally there. It could easily happen when you think beyond yourself.

One ramp I went to looks like a ledge when you stand at the top even though from the side it is a gradual incline. Most people do not own a Dualie trucks or a 4 X 4 to pull a trailer. They have little small or mid-size vehicles with questionable brakes and motors two steps from fried. They go fishing to enjoy themselves and get food. I could see where fishermen would be afraid of watching their truck roll back into the river. Some smart person would say, “Don't go down there then.” Yet the landing is there for everyone. There was a section on the other side of the river that was lower.  A decent ramp could have been built there. It would be great if the water were high, but most people do not go when the water is high.

The ramp itself is an obstacle to the river and enjoyment when no appropriate. I wonder if landings are reassessed?

When going to a landing, tell someone where you are going. You might need to send out an S.O.S. If you have no one, become acquainted with the DNR and who to call, if in trouble. Get out your truck and walk down to look at the ramp. Look for hazards. If you find some report them. If it looks shady, don't go in. Go on the premise: out of sight, out of mind. Take electrolytes and water. You don't want to get dehydrated. When in doubt, turn around. Have a back-up. Check your boat with a mental checklist. Someone might have done something to it. On the trip in, something might have become ajar or loose. Talk to people and find out what the potential problems are you might be facing or unaware of. It is worth the oxygen to ask.

I could go on.

Read other people's experience and learn from it. It could happen to you. Just because things go wrong doesn't mean you have to give up your plans to enjoy yourself or experience something new. There are always obstacles that get in the way. It is your job as a human being to use your brain and heart to dodge or make the best of things to get over a hump. There might be a reason for this. You might be laboring under some plight for the sake of someone you don't know who will benefit. Take classes provided by the local DNR or other organizations. Every little bit of experience helps. You might even save a life. You never know.

Go forth River Noob and be awesome.

Written by: Angelia Y Larrimore, the Undaunted.