Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls

Calling the Others

Writing Theme Music

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Jungle Cat


Remember this: The jungle cat is on the prowl.

In the beginning, there was grass. In the grass crawled a predator with keen senses like a black panther. Stalking its prey near a flowing sea of green, the beast slowly made its way across the grasslands. Thunder echoed from miles away. Danger was at every turn. The horses stared at the simpleton in the grass, wondering why their owner was scurrying so low to the ground and pretending to be a mouse. With every twitch of the doe's ear, the predator knew that it could be discovered. It lowered itself along the dirt like the black snake then moved as silent as the grave to the strike zone. The beast realized the grass was giving her the mad itch. She let out a low growl. Maybe a painful groan, before proceeding. Stretching her body out and moving with silent agility, the black panther finally reached a point to spy the prey. The deer were standing to attention. The tattletale horses had given the beast away. The horses ran away laughing, while the deer stood by the trees pointing at the idiot in the grass. The beast was bested this day and shook her fist, "I shall get you."

I wanted to get some photographs of the deer herds before local hunters mobilized , guns ablazing, for the upcoming deer hunting season. I went about my rounds but the day was humid. I could hear thunder and periwinkle clouds were above the trees. I didn't realize till much later that I had left the only battery to my camera in the house. I went to feed the dog when I stared off near the trees. Out in the field were a small  herd of deer. I didn't have time to go and get the battery. I decided to be a sneak thief and take these photos with my cell phone. If the quality is not that good let us chalk it down to Barney's shakey trigger finger.


I thought I would be slick and just walk out there to them. The wind was blowing away from me. I strolled straight out to the field and hid along side a paint mare. I had her walk towards the deer. The deer seem too enthralled in eating the soybeans. I moved closer. I realized I would not be able to hide behind this horse much longer. I got to the edge of the pasture then dropped down on my stomach.  I wanted to get as close to them, without spooking them, as possible. I crawled on my stomach for what I thought was three or five long minutes.  It could have been eternity. It felt like it. I would stop and look over the soybeans to see if they were still there. I was sweating bullets because it was getting more humid by the minute. The wind began to blow up my back toward the deer. I figured this would compromise me and drift my smell over to them. I laughed about this, snorted and thought, "I smell like roses." I crawled on.  Old horse poop land mines lay at every turn. I chalked this one down to my doctor prescribing exercise and this helped me to the pain medicine hours later. Crawling should be in your exercise regime for hunting. You never know when you have to stop, drop, crawl, or roll. Unfortunately, I can't ever run again. I would have to just sit there and be eaten by a bear; maybe dash salt and pepper on myself for good measure.






I stood up and took some photos, which I was closer than these appear. I chuckled all the way back to the house. I am definitely paying for it now. I thought I would share my shenanigans and give you a laugh because I am tons of fun. I think there might be some leprechauns hiding out in all that green. No one shall find my gold.

Written by: W Harley Bloodworth

~Courtesy of the AOFH~