Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls

Calling the Others

Writing Theme Music

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

2013 US Open Sporting Clays Championship


 
 
Remember this: Where ever you go, there you are. There is a purpose for it.

Starting on May 13th in Georgetown, SC the Back Woods Quail Club  is hosting the 2013 US Open Sporting Clays Championship. This event will go on until May 19th.  There is ample parking directly across the road from the entrance where eventers or non-eventers can park their trailers or vehicles. As of this time there is no charge for parking or entry into the event. The grounds are clean and each shooting zone is spaced amply apart. Near the roadside where the Main Event takes place is an area where you can rent a very nice all terrain vehicle for $75/day or take the shuttle which is free of charge. Otherwise it is not a trying walk to go all over the event area if you have the desire to do so.
From the license plates it seemed most of the eventers came from the Southeast coast.
The weather has been fabulous but slightly breezy during the day and clear with a crescent moon and stars at night. Perfect weather. The only other angle for the weather is its extremely bright in the spring and the backdrop for most of the shooting is green or blue. There was muted gun play sounding out in the wooded areas and in the fields planted with knee high corn. This simulated a lot of dove hunting or game bird shooting.

**For all intensive purposes take for granted that I am a 'babe in the woods' here.**

I thought I would first go over to the vendors. I stopped at one vendor to admire the guns sitting on a table. I asked the lady if I could pick one up to inspect it out of respect because people at times have no manners. This is what she said, "Don't you think about running away with that. You won't get far. I can run faster than you." I was perplexed this woman would even say such a thing. Her stall mate began to talk over me like I wasn't there insultingly. I picked up the metal work then just as quick put it down because I got this repulsed feeling in my stomach. I looked at that woman and said, "I hope you survive that." She sat up in her chair. I may look like a dim wit but I love seeing the startled look on peoples face when I speak and its pretty obvious 'dumb don't live here'. People (comically people saling wears like gypsies in wagons) that threaten others needlessly like that are usually cowards and think they can run over people or mistreat them. It didn't help that there was a total redneck standing behind me using very colorful profanity as he talked on the phone. Don't worry this would be only a hiccup in my day and overall not stain my experience at the event.
If it were money then I can relate a story about a dirt farmer that came to the veterinary practice to have his favorite goat catherized for a blocked urethra. As I was holding this goat down, the older man was questioning me about anatomy of his own goat. I chuckled then answered him. We were all joking out there but later one of the workers said the older dirt farmer took a shine to me. The co-worker told me that he was a millionaire peanut farmer. I thought he was joking but he was not. Goes to show you money doesn't always dress in a suit or Sunday clothes. Sometimes its covered in goat smell and wearing overalls.
I should have turned her in but the Krieghoff stall was a jaunt away. I went over. The beautiful dark haired lady at this stall had exemplary manners and in non-judgemental fashion answered my questions while letting me examine the Krieghoff wares. Redemption and a true professional. I had never seen a Krieghoff gun 'in the flesh' but I picked one up wanting to know if it were heavy. I finally wanted the gun to be real in my hand. It would have been more awesome if I could have fired it off at something. Pictures can give you a false perception of weight and texture. The engraved guns were indeed light and manageable even with the intricate metal work. I was delighted. I asked her about the  stock. When I looked and touched the varnished area it seemed like plastic. I have experience working with certain things that require textures and surfaces so this was strange to me because it was perfect; not a scratch. The smooth texture of the varnish under my fingertips gave it a non-organic feel. It felt foreign to me. I could only think this because I was familiar with thinly varnished wooden guns through use from a hundred years ago. One rifle I shoot with was manufactured the year before I was born. I would have to shoot a Krieghoff gun to get a total sense of my opinion of the gun but for now I love admiring engraved guns. I was also intrigued by the inside bowels of the mechanisms. I had taken apart different cheaply made brazilian (made in a barn after checking its history) and american guns to refurbish them.  The insides were made of different metals.Usually when you put different metal on metals it corrodes faster. Even though these shot well I wondered about the accuracy of shot of one gun versus the other. I can only imagine its all good?!
I then walked over to the Caesar Guerini stall. Yet again beautiful guns but one gun had an organic feel to it.
I then inspected the eye wear which you could get in prescription or non-prescription. My eyes are very pale blue eyes that can look green at times but light glare drowns out on shiny surfaces for me. I also have better luck with certain tints on glasses. I was at the Ranger booth looking at their optics. The vendor let me put some on and I decided that the purples and rose colors were the best for me but the most awesome lens was the ColorMag. This Premium lense dramatically intensifies orange targets against any background while keeping other colors neutral, offering the best contrast when possible. I looked over at this orange colored ATV and under the lense it was a bright candy apple red. I was amazed. When I considered the Back Woods Quail Club's set up and terrain, you are shooting at targets on a blue sky or in the woods on bright or dark green foliage. The Pale yellow, medium yellow, and orange I was not impressed with but that might be attributed to my eyes. It might work for someone else. The  brown colored lens was more for highlighting actual game birds and open back grounds. I am not saying one is better than the other but you have to do some consumer testing to figure out which one works.
After getting some complementary water and fruit I strolled around taking pictures of the different stands. There was the Long Bird, Make-A-Break, Practice 5-Stand and 2-Man Flush & 3 Shot. After watching the different contenders stand in position and wait for the skeets to be releases before taking a shot and reloading, I could watch from the back as each person had a different shooting style. Some were consistant breakers, others, hit and miss. This I will leave for another posting.
I walked on down into the woods as shooters drove past me  in semi-haste to get to the next stand. There were several clay stands down in the woods; two on water. I thought this is aerial golf at its finest.
 I found this older gentleman sitting at table trying to eat a boiled egg.He was the moderator for that clay stand. I started asking him some questions. I told him my son was learning to shoot but I wanted to find someone to help him out other than me. He pipes up that he would offer to give my son a couple of pointers. He then tells me he is a Navy Seal. I asked him what it would cost? He said nothing. I was so appreciative I told him that because he had been nice to me that something good was going to happen to him. Here I was given an opportunity for which I normally do not ask for help.
I moved along down this wooded path thinking about how I had almost planned not to come because I was scheduled for a post operative appointment midday...but somehow after one road block and detour found myself standing in the woods emblazed with the sounds of guns. Once again I was going to be the instigator of revealing to someone the opportunity before them and untapped ability.
Maybe something out there in the universe was trying to tell several people something? Me included.
As always, being the general all around person to instill in random people I don't know, a sense of encouragement, I found this skinny little freckled face girl all alone down near the pond. I walked up to her and asked her some questions about what she was doing. My thoughts right off were: she's in the behind the scene workings of a clay shooting club so she has a benefit of sequence, direction and layout on the part of a would-be Clay bird shooter. She also has the benefit of watching and examining each shooter to see what is working best for them in terms of accuracy or gun use. I asked Freckle Face was she experienced in shooting clays. She replied no. I asked her did she hunt or even shoot a gun. She said no. I asked her did she want to. She went into this short speech on how other people in her family did it but she didn't. She seemed to have that look of 'I want to but no one bothers or they don't have the time or patience to do it'. It could have been dubious fear I was smelling.  This is what I find in a lot of kids. Here was a young person that has the ability and probably the talent but people walk right by and don't even encourage participation. With teenagers I also find they do not want to be put in situations where others can mock or make them feel like they should have been born with a working talent or prodigy. Life does not always work that way. Some kids are pushed by adults to have adult mentalities when its not how quick they get it but how accurate on a repetitive scale over a period of time. I talked to her about hunting and clay shooting. I told her she should at least try because until she did no one, not even she would know her ability. I said, "What if you are one of these people that could be reknown or great but here you are stuck in the woods pulling a clay for someone else when you are just as capable at holding a gun, pulling the trigger, and busting that orange bird as it flies overhead." She got a bright look in her face. Kids at times do not feel like they have permission but in life when you are trying to break ground for yourself, you learn to stop asking for permission all the time when you don't have to. You just decide for yourself to give it the old college try for fame or fail. I told Freckle Face I wasn't going to make a trip there that day but here I was standing in the woods talking to her. I told her before I left that all she had to do was try.
I walked on.
I found this nice older lady holding a frou-frou dog in her lap on a golf cart. She was from Pennsylvania. Her husband was over at the stand with his gun preparing to take a shot. I chatted her up which is my habit. I would make a great politician. I was politicing for the shooting sport no doubt, especially to the females. I asked her was she shooting. Pennsylvania told me no. I asked, "Why not?" Pennsylvania's answer, "I am left eye dominant." I retorted merrily, "So what?" After talking to her it was apparent to me that someone had convinced this lady that she could not shoot a gun with the 'problem' of being left eye dominant. She also said she was scared of the boom sound and recoil. I explained briefly how that could be alleviated. I told her about something that I had read from a book written by this shooter that was like Freckle Face. Unassuming and hidden from the shooting world and how his innovations helped a girl he took out of experimentation that he found to be left eye dominant. This shooter took his female charge and taught her how to overcome this problem and consistently and accurately bust a clay much to his awe in record time. Initially he just wanted a good looking girl to hold a gun for a photo-op for his shooting book. This is when he got the hare-brained idea and it worked out for her and reaffirmed that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or its torn frayed pages. Pennsylvania's husband came over and wanted to know what we were talking about. By the look in his eye he must have thought I was a Jehovah witness passing out paraphernalia. His wife says, "She was just encouraging me to shoot." He eyeballed me suspiciously then pulled out his other gun, "What? My left eye dominant wife?" then walked off. I could only chuckle inside while thinking; I bet that husband of hers is cussing me for putting crazy ideas into her head. Before I departed I told her to write her concerns down, do some research on current solutions to her shooting fears and woes. Just try it, I told her, you'll be surprised how much your fear is only fear and nothing more.
I just thought to myself how often people do nothing based on being told that is as far as you go. There are people out there with no legs and arms making people born with everything look like total wastrels of life.
I also thought how often are people presented with opportunity, bare and naked before them, yet they do nothing? It stymied me.
I drifted through a sea of shooters and stands before I wondered back up the trail to the main lodge. I walked off to watch and photograph some of the people near the entrance.
In the whole four hours that I stayed there I only saw one woman shoot and a second riding in a cart I assumed would shoot. It made me think of how there seemed to be a lack of women at this particular event that were actually shooting but hidden amoug those that worked there was potential shooters if only someone would encourage them or tell them to give themselves permission to be all they could be. Overall, turning over stones is not such a waste because eventually you'll find a golden nugget.
You just have to keep looking and hoping they will listen.

Written by W Harley Bloodworth

~Courtesy of the AOFH~


For further reading:

http://2013usopenclays.com/

http://www.backwoodsquailclub.com/