Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls

Calling the Others

Writing Theme Music

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Serviceman, Fisherman, and Always Suave

 
 
 

Remember this: Everyone has lost someone at some point to War.

 
This is my grandfather, Harry. I never knew him. He died in an automobile accident before I was born.  He served in the military and fought in WWII. His guilty pleasure was German made riding boots. By the way, I come from horse people. An avid fisherman, more so than a hunter, he was a colorful character with cigarette in hand.
 
A couple of days ago there were numerous posts on the internet regarding service men and women. I wanted to post a short piece on people in my family that were in the service. It would seem my family likes to fight. My brother was in the Air Force. Both my cousins were in the Marines. My other relatives were in the Vietnam Conflict but passed away. One North Carolina relative was in the military in WWII as well but at 80 he was still doing chin-ups like a boss. I had relatives in fights all over Early America and in other countries and sea.
 

I usually do not like to glorify war but think veterans deserve their due for fighting no matter what side they are on. I also believe veterans are not treated appropriately for the PTSD they suffer from, the lifelong disability, and being cut loose with no foundation to attach to and drifting on the four winds.

I believe when countries have to resort to war or shooting the random missile at another country then someone in the politics or dissension does not have the capacity to act as a leader, show diplomacy, have communication skills, problem-solving, and the ability to bring people together instead of rip world communities apart. War is an indicator of gross dysfunction on many levels.

I also try to be somewhat sensitive to other countries because from their side they probably feel justified in fighting even if on the losing side. What side ever wins?

When governments see so many of their constituents dying and being mauled a person would think the politicians would go to greater lengths to avoid sending people on a death mission. Those same politicians are not going to leave their seat, jump a plane and dive out to help do the ground work. They are sitting in air-condition.
 
I don't see the point in taking a healthy individual and send them to a place that incapacitates the soldier for the rest of their life, if they live through it. But enough about this.

I wish I had known my grandfather.


Written by: W Harley Bloodworth

~Courtesy of the AOFH~