Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls

Calling the Others

Writing Theme Music

Thursday, October 18, 2012

16 Years Old: First Time Shooter Experience.



 
 
Remember this: Opportunity loves opportunity.

This evening I had planned to take a couple of the boys shooting. My son was a little down because he didn’t think his friend Stan would come over but much to his surprise a different friend that lived next door showed up unexpected. His name is Roger as I have introduced him in a previous post. Both of these boys were first time gun shooters, 16 years old and myopic (near-sighted). These boys never experienced recoil before.  My son came to me and asked if we could go shooting. I was right in the middle of working on a project and almost decided against it. I saw a little hope there because I asked my son before which he turned the offer to practice shoot down.

I took my opportunity.

I got the Wingmaster Supermag and a box of shells. We loaded into the truck and headed down to the 100 acre wood. Young boys seem to like riding in the back near the tailgate? I had also stopped to pick up a .22 squirrel gun with a scope and bullets. As we were walking out to the field I went over gun safety verbally. The boys went out to one side of this grassy field and set up four targets in the back and two in the front, evenly space by ten strides based on Roger’s height. Roger is a little over six foot tall and skinny as a rail.

I was standing over by the fence waiting for them to come back. I surveyed the fence which look like someone was trying to keep a dinosaur from Jurassic Park in instead of the deer out. After they cleared the field I scoped the targets to make sure the distance was good for them to be able to accurately focus and hit the dummies. I instructed them to pick separate targets so I could assess whether or not they hit the mark.

I showed them physically the different parts of the .22 rifle, the safety option, how to load the bullets then chamber it. I also explained it was an automatic and didn’t need to be manually loaded after firing but to watch for jamming. I explained body stance. I did not go over holding one’s breath because I wanted them to see the difference when shooting. They wanted to lie on the ground or kneel. I told them no. Stand up and shoot. Besides there were fire ant hills everywhere.

Roger told me he wanted to join the military. I laughed and said, “Son, I am fixing to teach you a life skill.” I doubt right now Roger or Quinton will know just how valuable this little endeavor the three of us were on would mean to them later down the road. Time would tell. I passed Roger the .22 caliber.

Roger was the first to shoot. I allowed them two bullets at first. Quinton shot next with his allowed two bullets. I instructed them to go out to the target and see how they fared. The objective was to hit the target not a certain part of it. Both missed. 

Roger asked me to shoot the gun. I wondered if he thought I was joking. I chose a target and popped a hole in it. I believe I convinced him that I was serious and could show him. I didn't shoot anymore because I was to engrossed in correcting form or giving my observations or corrections.

I then decided it was a good thing to communicate their experience and concerns. Listening was key. I asked Roger what he did before pulling the trigger. He stated he noticed when scoping the cross hairs moved a lot and he seemed to shake away from point. I asked Quinton the same thing. He concurred.  I told them to hold their breath, aim, and pull the trigger without lingering. I let Quinton shoot. I was a little amaze even though he didn’t have his glasses on that he hit the target: twice.  Roger took his turn. He smoked one shot and missed the other. He said it did help to steady his grip on the rifle by taking a calming breath, hold then aim.

I allotted them more shots. With the .22 both boys were less likely to hand the rifle over after shooting. It was less noise and recoil. I had them collect their targets and move to another clearing. I walked back to my truck to get the 12 gauge and box of shells. They were waiting in the field. I could tell both were somewhat intimidated.

I gave Roger the empty gun on safety and had him do several dry runs. My son had practiced this the day before with a tactical gun.

 I asked, “Who is going first?” Roger hid behind my son. I thought 'give him a good healthy shove Angelia'.My son was going to shoot but I told Roger to do it because he was hiding.  I reviewed the shotgun, how to maneuver it, the different tracking swings, safety, and loading/unloading. Sheepishly he took the gun, assumed the position and waited for the flying targets. The first one went back. He looked around for it. I laughed. I told him he had to pay attention to the target and when things looked odd to stand down and not follow or take the shot. I told him he shouldn’t wildly swing the gun around looking for Bugs Bunny like Elmer Fudd does at times. We tried again. He waited for it to be eye level then shot. He missed as he did on the second shot. Quinton was up next. Roger tossed off the target. Quinton shot then missed twice. My son was a little gun crazy for a moment because he wanted to keep shooting. He turned around and said, "That felt good." I laughed. It amazes me how much shooting a gun at a lifeless target can alleviate pent up stress because it focuses your mind away from what is bothering you.

It was getting late and I allotted two shells per teen because I knew they weren’t that great as first timers with their aim. I suggested practicing more with a BB gun or dry runs.

I did notice that when Roger shot the 12 gauge he handed the gun to me. I wondered at this. It was like he wanted to distance himself from it or was the gun making his discomfort unconsciously obvious. Power will do that to someone who is not used to having it in his hands.

We collected all the empty shells and casings, picked up the targets and went to the truck. We cruised down the road to push the golf cart because it was sparking on one of the battery wires. Those two kids gave me a laugh because I was ribbing them about being weak and not being able to push a golf cart long term. Oh they hated it but it was funny.  I told them to eat their Wheaties or do some push-ups. They'd never get a girlfriend without some muscle.

We left in the truck to go check out the 12 acre. I told both boys if they wanted to camp or play airsoft down there they could. As we were leaving out down the dirt road I thought this was the perfect time to ask Roger and Quinton a couple of questions about their experience (being first timers). Most adults don’t ask these questions and if they do the minor will tell them what they want to hear to please them unless they are just blunt kids.  

Remember both are 16 years old.

Roger told me that he had never shot a loaded gun before. He said he was more comfortable shooting the .22. When it came to shooting the Wingmaster he was pre-exposed to stories of recoil and thought the gun would kick him hard or knock him down. Imagery. I think he imagined the gun was like a hand cannon where just as soon as he pulled the trigger he would go flying back like a leaf in the wing. After shooting it, he said the reason he handed it back to me was because he was not use to shooting a shotgun. It was a little intimidating but he got a rush of adrenaline.  Oh first love, how it confuses us all. He was excited and not sure what to do about it. I can only think this is like being a first time driver out on the road by yourself hoping you don’t wreck before you get to your destination on the first go round. The unexpected can do that to you but you have to work through the hesitation in your mind to pass consciously through the barrier to learn there is no barrier there or anything to hold you back. This is what builds confidence and I was working on building two peoples confidence: to which I succeeded.

I asked both did they feel like they had just taken part in an aggressively violent activity?

Both replied that they did not feel that way. As far as Roger’s emotional state he pointed out that he felt less stressed or over-anxious. Quinton agreed but said he wanted to shoot a machine gun. I rolled my eyes. I could tell by the smiles on their faces that they felt like they had moved a little more toward being manly. I then thought it doesn’t occur to adults that sometimes the teenagers don’t lack confidence in themselves but in the adult. They may question the adult’s ability to pass them safely from point A to point B. Some children stand silently by wanting to move forward or engage but being respectful or unsure do not move from the spot unless you've a trained eye that they are frozen with some invisible mental obstacle.

In regards to them feeling manly, I wondered how far that would get me because it was a female doing it. I wondered how adept I was at being a unisex amoeba. Being the male and female to a child is very draining because you’re doing double duty with no one to help you especially when you have no prospects or connections. It is also somewhat of a dubious task to extend your already exhausted self out to teach and instruct children that are not yours biologically. I did ask Roger how he felt that it was not his parents teaching him this for the first time and if it mattered. I think he was taken aback by this question but I felt like it was relevant. I wasn’t asking to boost my ego or make myself feel a little condescending.  I wasn't asking to hurt Roger either. I honestly wanted to know how he felt personally. I have seen this kid just being alone, wondering around if you will.

I asked him how he thought his father would react.

Roger explained to me that his father did indeed hunt but because of his schedule working on the coast did not have time to spend teaching him how to hunt. As he was from the city, learning to do such things was improbable. He was excited he was getting the chance in general regardless of who was demonstrating shooting or offering it. It didn’t matter to him that much as he spent more time with his mother than his father. I could understand this as this was the case with my son.

I asked Roger did he think this would help his relationship with his father.

 He said yes. I told him it probably would help because if his father were too busy then in the meantime Roger could learn to shoot and hunt with no pressure to appease his dad. When the time came they could go hunting together with Roger pre-exposed and taught the safe way to manage a gun. This would make his time with his father more of a bonding experience instead of a learning experience fraught with frustration.  I would be rendering his frustration and lack of knowledge mute by intervening on his part to ensure education would enrich the hunting experiences he was yet to have with his father. I was satisfied with that.

I asked Roger did he think he could see shooting as a once a week activity he would look forward to?

He responded that he felt like he could do it every day.

After questioning Roger I think his answers relieved him even more because he actually thought about the meaningfulness of his first shooting experience. Young kids always like to have their little accomplishments celebrated. To many times milestones are passed by because of time crunches, distracted parents, or just for lack of giving a first time accomplishment any value.  I dug their first .22 bullet leavings out of the dirt along with their first two shells. I told Roger to write the date and where it was done. He needed a memory and so did my son.

As far as my son’s experience I had helped him work through his trauma from childhood by being exposed to the sound of a shotgun going off by his head thanks to my uncle. I wondered if he was ever going to shoot but I tried not to over push the idea and waited it out. With my son, it was his fear of the blast/recoil but once he shot that Wingmaster he didn’t want to give me the gun back.

I did reiterate to the two boys that when they were shooting the idea to focus on yourself and others in relation to the business end of the gun was important. After shooting, the tendency to aim carelessly or without scrutiny was slightly elevated.  They had no problem when actually aiming the gun and pulling the trigger but afterward was when I felt the responsible adult should be vigilante because teenagers at times can be attention deficit due to some kind of ‘disconnect’ to the actual gun. There 'disconnect' is false security because of it being on safety or 'empty'. I told them to always consider it a loaded weapon.

 After I was satisfied by the question and answer from a 16 year old's perspective I felt somewhat accomplished. The two boys looked pleased and accomplished themselves. It is not often that adults ask the opinion of the activities they engage youth in. It makes the kids feel like they matter, what they are doing matters, and your opinion of them is expanded because they feel a little closer to being an adult or validated. The child feels a little closer to you or at least accessible.

As with most things, children or teenagers live under the regime of parents or other adult rules.  They are rarely asked for their input other than to be given instruction on what or how to do something regardless of whether they are comfortable with what they are being asked to do or not. Kids at times do not feel they can say no or if they even have a choice.
After reading articles on other peoples speculations as to the feelings of minors where shooting and hunting is concerned the child is basically left without a voice as to whether shooting or hunting is something they actually want to do. They to have a voice but at times are excluded in lieu of someone making decisions for them instead of at least asking their input. This usually leads to feelings of helplessness and victimization. If we are going to raise functional adults we have to at times let them get a taste of responsible decision making and articulated input where their rights/abilities are concerned otherwise they are the invisible unheard well of insight and clarity.

Later as I wrote this I recognized that I didn’t care if I had the  respect of my peers (known or unknown), if any adult person wanted to share in my love of guns, hunting, or shooting, or where I stood in the greater scheme of things. The only thing that mattered in those two hours was the positive experience I could nurture for two young first time shooters so they could possibly find a lifelong love. Two young boys had the confidence in me to teach them the way while I found the confidence to know I could do them justice. Being there for someone when they are developing is the best endeavor whether they are related by blood or not. They are all my children to teach. I just have to teach them right and well.
 
Written by: W Harley Bloodworth

~Courtesy of the AOFH~